CUPE Local 1281 IS SEEKING A UNION STAFF REPRESENTATIVE
FULL-TIME PERMANENT POSITION
CUPE 1281 is a chartered Local Union of the Canadian Union of Public Employees; a small grassroots Local that represents approximately 300 members with more than 46 separate collective agreements that govern workplace relations in 50 workplace locations. The office is located in downtown Toronto and this position may require occasional travel. This is a permanent position, and not a temporary contract.
Applicants must have a very good knowledge of unions, administrative work and financial systems. The position will primarily focus on administrative tasks while assisting with membership outreach, communications and financial matters. There is also potential for the Administrative Coordinator/Assistant Staff Representative to increase their knowledge in this position by taking training courses and being mentored by CUPE 1281 Staff Representatives.
Currently, the CUPE 1281 office is closed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and staff are working remotely. Once Toronto Public Health has determined it is safe to do so, staff will have the opportunity to work inside the CUPE 1281 office.
Salary: $25/hour with a flexible Monday to Friday 30 hour work week, plus RSP contributions and healthcare cost reimbursement.
The selected candidate must be able to perform in an inclusive manner to a diverse membership
with accuracy and minimum supervision, the following duties, among others:
● File notices to bargain and regularly update bargaining timeline calendar for the Local;
● Send Ministry of Labour signed collective agreements and update collective agreements with newly agreed upon language;
● Coordinate with Staff Representatives to ensure printing, signing, mailing and filing of collective agreements;
● Maintain membership and steward list serves, as well as send members and stewards announcements, education opportunities, registration call-outs, and other necessary alerts/information;
● Coordinate with CUPE 1281 Secretary-Treasurer to confirm or make member accommodation/travel bookings and process member reimbursements and per diems;
● Maintain and regularly update membership mailing list and send new members membership package, add to mailing list and file signed letter of hire;
● Respond to member inquiries and forward inquiries to the relevant Staff Representative or Executive member;
● Respond to inquiries from CUPE National and coordinate the submitting of collective agreements and other materials to incoming staff reps;
● Ensure delegate and member enrolment in conferences, conventions, labour councils and CUPE councils, fall/spring schools, and other educational opportunities;
● Receive, deposit and record membership dues and dues forms;
● Regularly follow up with sub-units in arrears;
● Receive, process and distribute incoming mail; review correspondence and refer to appropriate person or initiate reply as required; process outgoing mail and courier deliveries as required;
● Maintain filing systems for dues and executive minutes, and various administrative files and order office supplies as required;
● Book venues, catering and equipment for Stewards’ Council and Convention;
● Create and track RSVP forms, quorums, and various materials for elections and dues updates in advance of Convention;
● Coordinate Steward elections and send letters of Steward appointment to employers following ratification at Convention;
● Provide transition/training support to Executive members after Convention each June/July;
● Prepare dues report for Secretary-Treasurer ahead of Stewards’ Council/Convention and collaborate with other executive members on office related/communication/other projects as required;
● Work with Equity Officer to send solidarity donations to approved organizations;
● Provide orientation support to newly hired CUPE 1281 staff or contract staff/bookkeepers;
● Receive bills, invoices, expense forms and write cheques and Track monthly cheques in Excel form to submit to bookkeeper;
● Attend member meetings or meetings with employer on behalf of, or with Staff Representative and in consultation with the Local President as needed;
● Support Staff Representative in collective bargaining occasionally.
● We require post-secondary education in a relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and directly-related work experience;
● Experience with trade unions and small social justice organizations is a must;
● Demonstrated experience and ability to effectively establish priorities and meet deadlines while working in a high-pressure work setting;
● Must have the ability to work independently, set and meet deadlines with minimal supervision;
● Experience working with a variety of computer software applications and advanced word and data base processing skills are essential;
● Demonstrated knowledge of an anti-oppression framework and the ability to ensure communications and membership outreach are inclusive to the multiple needs of members;
● Initiative, demonstrated organizational abilities, a high degree of accuracy, and the ability to work with a minimum of supervision;
● Above average oral and written communication skills in the English language.
Application deadline: June 4 at 11:59 pm via email to email@example.com.
A completed application for this posting will include a cover letter and resume.
CUPE Local 1281 is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, racialized people and 2SLGBTTIQ* people.
This position is unionized with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW).
You can view the Administrative Coordinator/Assistant Staff Representative job posting in PDF format here.