The minimum wage has gone up to $14 an hour! Unfortunately some business owners have responded by cutting paid breaks and shifts, firing workers and even engaging in wage theft.
Most notably several Tim Hortons stores across Ontario have been caught taking out the new changes on workers. For instance Ron Joyce Jr., the son of the former owner of Tim Hortons sent a letter to his employees eliminating workers’ paid breaks, reducing access to basic drug and dental benefits, eliminating uniform and drink allowances, and even cutting employees’ hours of work.
This behaviour is deplorable, especially considering Tim Hortons and its franchises are very profitable. In 2016, Tim Hortons generated US$3.00 billion in revenue for its parent company Restaurant Brands International(RBI). That same year RBI CEO Daniel Schwartz pocketed $6,173,993 in wages, stock options and other perks. An additional US$350 million in profits were given out to shareholders.
So join us in showing our love and support for Tim Hortons workers and all workers facing bully bosses. Together we can defend the $14 an hour minimum wage and Fight for $15 & Fairness!
There are a lot of announced actions taking place across Ontario tomorrow (Wednesday January 10, 2018) (see below for some).
We’re encouraging all available CUPE 1281 members to attend these actions. However, if you can’t make it to an action, you can still show support by printing off a sign (or making your own), taking a photo, and posting it on social media tomorrow with #IStandWithTimHortonsWorkers.
If you’d prefer, you can also send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can post it on your behalf!
- Markham & Lawrence (3488 Lawrence Ave E) 8:00 am
- Keele & Wilson (2708 Keele St) 8:00 am
- Spadina & College (455 Spadina Ave) 8:00 am
- Bloor & Dufferin (1094 Bloor St West) 8: 00 am
- Eglinton & Bermondsey (1733 Eglinton Ave E) 9:00 am
- UofT: Bloor & St. George (264 Bloor St W) 2:00 pm
- YorkU: Keele & Steeles (4700 Keele St) 3:00 pm
- Yonge & College (444 Yonge) 4:30 pm
Dundas (near Hamilton)
- Cootes & York Rd (38 York Rd) 5:00 pm
- Dundas & Elgin St (970 Division St) 5:00 pm
- Dundas & Richmond (172-174 Dundas St) 3:00 pm
- Windsor St & Wellington (80 Park St E) 10:00 am
- Victoria & York (212 Victoria Rd South) 5:00 pm